Police officer died of 'natural' causes day after Capitol riot: Medical examiner

Police officer died of 'natural' causes day after Capitol riot: Medical examiner

Capitol Police officer Brian D. Sicknick suffered two strokes and died of natural causes a day after he confronted rioters at the January 6 insurrection, the District's chief medical examiner has ruled. That speculation led some to express surprise that prosecutors stopped short of accusing Tanios and Khater of causing Sicknick's death, despite charging assault with the chemical spray.

Sicknick, 42, grew up in South River, in the same county as two suspects charged with assaulting him, Julian Khater and George Tanios, who were raised in New Brunswick.

Authorities initially believed Mr Sicknick died from head injuries sustained while "physically engaging" with pro-Trump rioters who stormed the complex to disrupt the certification of Democrat Joe Biden's presidential election win.

Sicknick was standing guard with other officers behind metal bicycle racks as the mob descended on the Capitol.

He did not suffer an allergic reaction to the chemical irritants dispensed by rioters, Diaz told the Post, nor was there evidence of internal or external injuries. Diaz said he could not comment on whether Sicknick had a preexisting medical condition, citing privacy laws.

Five people died, including a woman who was shot by a police officer inside the Capitol. He was interred at Arlington National Cemetery. The case is being investigated by D.C. police, who handle deaths in the city, along with the Capitol Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Table Mountain fire burning 'out of control' BBC News
The blaze spread quickly after breaking out on Sunday morning near a memorial to politician Cecil Rhodes. One firefighter sustained burn wounds and was hospitalised for treatment, officials said.

Acting U.S. attorney general Jeffrey A. Rosen said in a January 8 statement that Sicknick died of "the injuries he suffered defending the U.S. Capitol". "The FBI and Metropolitan Police Department will jointly investigate the case and the Department of Justice will spare no resources in investigating and holding accountable those responsible".

Two men were arrested in March and charged with the officer's death.

"Give me that bear shit", Khater said before he reached into Tanios' backpack, according to court papers.

ProPublica reported the family received notice Sicknick "had a blood clot and had had a stroke the day after the riot".

The senator described Sicknick's death as a "crime" that "demands the full attention of federal law enforcement". "They took a sibling away from their brothers".

Related Articles