Toronto’s lockdown extended until at least March 8

Toronto’s lockdown extended until at least March 8

Toronto, Peel and North Bay are now the only regions that will remain under the strictest orders until at least March. 8.

Based on a general improvement in trends of key indicators, York Region Public Health will be moving back to the Framework at the Red-Control level and will no longer be subject to the Stay-at-Home order.

"We don't want people travelling between regions at this point", Elliott said.

"We're relying on the on the people of Ontario to follow the protocols", he said.

The stay-home order was lifted for the majority of the province earlier this week as the government moved ahead with an economic reopening despite warnings it could set off a third wave of infections.

Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health said the extension of the stay-at-home order was hard but necessary and emphasized the province is not reopening just yet as health officials warn of the threat of foreign variants spiking in weeks to come.

When asked about those projections, Ford said his government is being cautious in the hardest-hit areas and regions with fewer cases can't be compared with hot spots like Toronto.

In consultation with the Chief Medical Officer of Health and the local medical officers of health, the Ontario government is maintaining the shutdown, the Stay-at-Home order and all existing public health and workplace safety measures for an additional two weeks in the Toronto and Peel Public Health Regions, along with the North Bay-Parry Sound District.

Hastings-Prince Edward Public Health said it has administered 1,483 vaccines in its region. "People in that region will pay the price in terms of an increased spike".

Top Australian news outlet strikes content deal with Google
In 2019, Facebook announced deals to pay some publishers to share stories inside a dedicated news section of its main app. The landmark deal, announced Wednesday, comes after a 14-year-plus campaign by Murdoch and his lieutenant, News Corp.

York Region will transition out of the shutdown and into the revised framework for restrictions on Monday.

"Protecting our progress and limiting the impact of variants of concern will require stronger action".

"It is critically important that residents continue to stay at home as much as possible and only go out for essential trips", Scarpitti said in a statement.

"These are hard but necessary decisions, in order to protect against COVID-19 variants and maintain the progress we have all made together".

Across the province, the number of cases has been declining for weeks.

Provincial officials say primary physicians may begin contacting seniors in that age group while an online booking system and service desk for appointments are still in development.

The appointments will likely begin in March, said retired Gen. Rick Hillier, who is leading the vaccine rollout.

This second phase of vaccinations will also include: Staff, residents and caregivers in retirement homes and other congregate care settings for seniors (e.g., assisted living); Health care workers in the High Priority level, and in accordance with the Ministry of Health's guidance on Health Care Worker Prioritization; All Indigenous adults; and adult recipients of chronic home care.

To date, Ontario has seen 290,771 COVID-19 cases and 6,820 virus-related deaths.

Related Articles