Australian Open to allow 7,500 centre court fans

Australian Open to allow 7,500 centre court fans

Victoria has recorded two new local cases of coronavirus as the state remains in limbo over whether lockdown restrictions will lift tomorrow night.

The cluster has now grown to 19 cases.

"The size of [those events] will be dictated by the space in which they are held", Mr Andrews said.

Fans will also be able to return for the final days of the Australian Open tennis tournament, with crowds at Melbourne Park to be capped at 50 per cent capacity.

Authorities said the only case of COVID-19 detected across the country in the past 24 hours involved a person that was already in hotel quarantine after arriving from overseas.

An update on the state's intake of returned travellers will be provided "later in the week", he said.

Mr Andrews said he would not foreshadow any changes to these restrictions between now and Friday week.

"We believe that vaccinating the quarantine and border workers will substantially protect them from transmission, we hope, but certainly from getting symptomatic COVID", Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy told reporters in Canberra.

Meanwhile, two locations were added to the list of exposure sites overnight - Sacca's Fruit World and BonBon Bakery, both in Broadmeadows Central shopping centre.

Province Confirms 904 New Cases of COVID-19 This Morning
Tuesday's 904 cases come as many regions across the province have lifted their stay-at-home order. "We're transitioning. She says there are 170 new cases in Peel Region, and 131 in York Region.

"The other Grand Slams they played previous year, they didn't have to fly so far or do 14 days of quarantine, so we have to overcome those and get the top players to play here".

As a result of the conclusion of the lockdown, the five-kilometre limit for leaving home will be abolished.

In an unrelated incident, 31 people quarantining at the Holiday Inn on Flinders Lane have been transferred to the Pullman Albert Park Hotel, which previously housed worldwide arrivals in town for the Australian Open.

He encouraged Victorians to keep getting tested for the virus if they have "any symptoms at all".

Ms Cassar defended a number of guests who were filmed wearing garbage bags over their heads during the transfer.

"They have been given PPE and have it on".

Nearly 24,000 people were tested for the virus on Monday.

As Melbourne re-emerges from a five-day snap lockdown, fans can embrace life in the city once again by securing seats for blockbuster matches at the business end of the event, beginning with Thursday's women's singles semifinals before the first of the men's singles semis that evening.

Related Articles