Myanmar military chokes internet for second consecutive night amid protests

Myanmar military chokes internet for second consecutive night amid protests

Myanmar's military has guaranteed that it would hold an election and hand back power to the victor, denying that its ouster of an elected government was a coup.

Police in Burma have filed a new charge against ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi, her lawyer said Tuesday, which may allow her to be held indefinitely without trial.

UN Special Envoy Christine Schraner Burgener spoke on Monday to the deputy head of the junta in what has become a rare channel of communication between the army and the outside world, urging restraint and the restoration of communications.

There was no official word as to why, but the United States embassy in Myanmar urged American citizens to "shelter in place", citing reports of the military movements in Yangon.

In an account of the meeting, Myanmar's army said junta No. 2, Soe Win, had discussed the administration's plans and information on "the true situation of what's happening in Myanmar".

In one incident, posted to Facebook Live, security forces in Myitkyina, the capital of the country's northern Kachin state, fired on protesters at a power plant on Sunday, after a crowd had gathered there fearing that the military was about to cut off the electricity.

As well as mass protests around the country, the military rulers were facing a strike by government workers, part of a civil disobedience movement against the February 1 coup that deposed the civilian government led by Aung San Suu Kyi.

However, Suu Kyi has not been seen for two weeks. "Now everything is settled". It is likely that she will appear in court by videoconference on Wednesday, according to Khin Maung Zaw, a lawyer asked by Suu Kyi's party to represent her.

Numerous country's locomotive drivers have joined the anti-coup work boycotts and have frustrated junta efforts to restart the national railway network after a Covid-19 shutdown.

On Tuesday, another internet blackout blanketed Myanmar, dropping connectivity to 15 percent of ordinary levels, according to UK-based monitoring group NetBlocks. This comes after nine straight days of mass city protests.

The envoy noted that such shutdowns "hurt key sectors, including banking, and heighten domestic tensions".

Pink balloons for Myanmar

"The district judge told me that the hearing will be at Zabuthiri township court", he said.

The people gathered to make their voice heard despite the presence of armoured vehicles on the streets of Yangon, the country's largest city, and other locations since Sunday.

A demonstration led by student groups in Naypyidaw was met with force after the gathering had retreated. Police also arrested dozens of the young protesters, though some were later released.

Journalists on the scene also said police had beaten them in the melee.

"It's a big worry and concern for the villagers".

The independent Assistance Association for Political Prisoners says 384 people have been detained since the coup, with 360 still being held.

The U.S. ambassador to Myanmar, along with several other Western nations, issued a statement calling on the military and police forces to "refrain from violence against demonstrators and civilians, who are protesting the overthrow of their legitimate government". Nevertheless, more than 1000 anti-coup demonstrators were outside the Central Bank of Myanmar building, where there were also military trucks full of soldiers, riot police, water cannon trucks and armoured personnel carriers.

"The assault on freedom of expression must stop", it tweeted.

Suu Kyi, who was ousted in a military coup on February 1, has already been charged with possessing walkie-talkies that were imported without being registered.

"There's nothing fair about the junta".

People who have been shielding can now book a vaccination appointment
A federal pharmacy program run through Walgreens will also be registering eligible Vermonters in 20 locations across the state. Health Minister Christine Elliott says there are 361 new cases in Toronto, 210 in Peel Region, and 122 in York Region.

Related Articles