SpaceX violated FAA launch licence in December test, report says

SpaceX violated FAA launch licence in December test, report says

Though a pressurization issue ultimately caused SN8 to lose thrust and impact the ground before it could gently touch down, the Starship made it a full six and a half minutes into a roughly seven-minute test flight before anything went wrong - a degree of success far greater than nearly anyone at SpaceX confidently expected.

The December test launch of the "Serial Number 8" Starship prototype at SpaceX's Boca Chica, Texas, facilities was hailed by Musk as a success: "Mars, here we come!" the chief executive tweeted moments after the rocket exploded on its landing, celebrating SN8's successful 8-mile-high ascent with his followers.

He also added that the FAA will approve the modification only if the organization is satisfied that SpaceX has taken the required steps to follow the regulatory requirements.

The rocket which was destroyed while landing was a 16-story-tall prototype for the heavy-lift launch vehicle, developed by the American aerospace company to carry 100 tons of cargo and humans in future space missions.

His full statement said; "Unlike its aircraft division, which is fine, the FAA space division has a fundamentally broken regulatory structure". The FAA, which oversees ground safety and issues licenses for private launches, was not so happy. The FAA has yet again delayed SpaceX from continuing the launch, without any explanations and only saying that they have been in talks with the company.

Cloverfield Sequel within the Works With JJ Abrams as Co-Producer
Barton's Amazon Studios sci-fi thriller "Invasion" is in post-production, with Riz Ahmed and Octavia Spencer starring. Plot details are also being kept under wraps, but the film will not be in the found footage style as the original was.

Just six weeks ago, Starship serial number 8 (SN8) almost aced the SpaceX's first FAA-approved high-altitude launch debut out of South Texas, demonstrating the rocket's ability to safely launch to high altitudes and return back to earth.

When SN8 finally touched down, it ignited in flames - and, once the fire and smoke had cleared, all that was left was a pile of debris topped by what remained of the craft's nose cone. Musk expressed his frustration regarding the FAA process and took it to Twitter.

But the FAA probe has apparently put a strain on SpaceX's upcoming launch tests as well.

After the delay was confirmed, Musk let rip on Twitter. "Their rules are meant for a handful of expendable launches per year from a few government facilities". Musk replied: "A lot of the time, the best thing the government can do is just get out of the way".

Related Articles