Ontario declares 2nd provincial emergency, issues stay-at-home order

Ontario declares 2nd provincial emergency, issues stay-at-home order

The investigation is continuing, and Jaffe encouraged people to come clean about recent travel, "even though they think maybe that might get them into trouble; of course it would not", she said, unless, of course, they lied.

There are 385 COVID patients in intensive care units (down from 387 yesterday) and 262 COVID patients on ventilators (down from 268 yesterday).

Last week, the CEO of Windsor Regional Hospital said they were forced to cancel all non-urgent, elective surgeries indefinitely. "But as we climb closer to 1,000 intensive care beds, about half of our capacity filled with COVID-19 patients in February, we will have to confront choices that no doctor ever wants to make and no family ever wants to hear", he said. The doubling time for cases could drop by more than 2/3.

That model assumes case rates continue to climb between three to five per cent a day, which is the current rate.

The new variant of COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2 (B117), could cause an increase in growth as current statistics show it is 56 per cent more transmittable than other variants now in the community.

The latest forecast suggests there will be more deaths across the province's long-term care sector in the second wave than the first.

Ontario health officials reported a jump in the number of people in hospital due to COVID-19 with 1,701 people now receiving care. There were 41 deaths reported.

While more contagious, the variant is not considered more lethal or immune to vaccines.

The further COVID-19 restrictions announced by the Ontario government today will have some implications for area schoolchildren.

Why The PGA Championship Won't Happen At Trump's Course
The PGA Championship is always held in May, after the Masters and before the US Open and Open Championship. This is not the first time the PGA have been confronted with a hard decision.

"We have looked, certainly, at the measures put in place in other jurisdictions, other countries, and curfews have been put in place with multiple other measures", Yaffe said.

The latest update from the province shows 68 new cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa after several days of triple-digit increases.

Ontario announced eight new cases of the so-called United Kingdom variant Tuesday, bringing Canada's confirmed total to at least 22. "We're going to be there for the people in all different types of fashions, no matter if it's making sure that people can't be evicted from their homes, making sure that we give $200 to parents for every child that is in school, we're keeping the electricity rates low".

"Despite going into a shutdown in the grey zones, people were still moving about".

"All we're asking is cooperation from the people to stay home". "We need more stringent measures". "I think Canadians are broadly supportive of travel restrictions".

With one-third of Ontario's population ignoring normal COVID-19 pandemic precautions and with more people getting sick and dying, Ontario Premier Doug Ford has issued a stay-at-home order in the hopes that the "bad actors" out there will heed the advice.

The premier pleaded with the public to hang in for another 28 days saying that with the vaccine program being rolled out, "there is hope on the horizon".

Additionally, the provincial government has extended closures for school boards that will not return for in-person learning until February 10 at the earliest.

Related Articles