Promoters Fined $20K Over Infamous NY Chainsmokers Show

Promoters Fined $20K Over Infamous NY Chainsmokers Show

Shortly following the event, videos of the event came to light where attendees flooded the front of the stage without social distancing.

The DOH charged the promoter with violating an Executive Order and Section 16 of the Public Health Law.

According to Cuomo, the Department of Health found that over 2,150 people attended the concert - well above the permitted number - and that it was not held in accordance with other COVID-19 safety regulations.

The state will seek $20,000 in fines for holding a nonessential gathering and failure to enforce the wearing of face coverings at the event, according to a statement.

Pfizer to seek emergency approval for COVID vaccine next month
A BioNTech spokesperson confirmed the time frame for the potential EUA application to the FDA. It has said that it may have interim data on its 30,000 person trial as soon as November.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo was quick to voice his disgust when video of the event surfaced back in July, threatening an investigation from the Department of Health and writing "I am appalled". However, the state says that, "critically, the promoter's Special Events Application omitted reference to a designated "friends and family" section where concertgoers could freely congregate and where mask-wearing was not enforced".

Cuomo also took aim at Southampton - whose business owners previously decried the increased state-level scrutiny they began receiving after the show - specifying that it "cannot approve permits for group gatherings without State approval."

In July, The Chainsmokers hosted one of New York State's first drive-in raves in a town called Southampton in Long Island.

The concert was held at a 100-acre lot transformed into a drive-in for the event, and a concert-goer on Twitter posted show footage, noting "no social-distancing during a pandemic; we may be doomed".

The promoters - In the Know Experiences and Invisible Noise Productions - declined to comment Wednesday on the governor's announcement. He says the town did issue the promoter a summons.

Related Articles